Tuesday, September 15, 2009

This month in Sci-Fi

Good Sci-Fi I just finished reading:

House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds - I'm glad I came across this book. I simply loved the story telling. Smooth and refreshingly original. Deep space epic with a liberal dose of Hard Sci-Fi. Mmmm...

The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons. A sequel to Hyperion, which I happened to like a lot too. A part of the Hyperion Cantos, with its strange blend of hellish Time Tombs, The Shrike and the City of Sad King Billy in the background. What I liked in particular about this was the exploration of the Omega Theory - will God evolve from us as a being of supreme power and intellect or is he already there?

Spoiler alert:

It's also strange to see the similarities between The Matrix movie and the AI/Core in the novel. Especially so, when you consider that this novel came out before the movie. Hmm..who borrowed from who?