Apache Camel, if you haven't used or even heard about this lovely little integration framework then I highly recommend watching this video by one of its founders. It's best described as a mini-ESB, an implementation of the Enterprise Application Integration Patterns (EAI) with API/programmatic access, a zillion connectors and a delight to use.
Also worth watching is the EAI intro video by Gregor Hohpe at Camelone 2011.
Some interesting HadoopWorld 2011 slides:
- Hadoop World 2011 Presentation Slides: Advanced HBase Schema Design - Lars George, Cloudera
- Hadoop World 2011 Presentation Slides: Replacing RDB/DW with Hadoop and Hive for Telco Big Data - Jason Han, NexR
- Hadoop World 2011: Hadoop and Graph Data Management: Challenges and Opportunities
Joins - the Achilles heel of NoSql, distributed systems. Possible, but difficult and not always feasible. Yet, several solutions are available being offered in addition to the big data warehouse vendors and do-it-yourselfers.
- 70x Faster Joins with AQL in MySQL Cluster 7.2 DMR
- 25x: MySQL Cluster and pushdown joins (in pursuit of the holy grail)
- Hadapt is moving forward
You thought System.nanoTime() was fast than using System.currentTimeMills() for profiling? Well.. it's all relative.
The old JCache API seems to have been revived - JSR107: The new Caching Standard. It's also going to be a part of the next JEE spec. More signs of commoditization - a good sign of progress.
Until next time!