Here's a bunch of stuff I found to be of some interest and relevance. Happy reading!
- Finally, the best JVM microbenchmarking tool - JMH vs Caliper
- Detecting (write) failures when using memory mapped files in Java
- I had always wondered why no one asked about ASN.1 vs Thrift/Avro.Protobuf
- Nice discussion on the impact of hyper threading on perf for super latency sensitive optimized programs
- GC safepoints
The old tuples and value objects conversation (again):An Apache HTTP client "bug"/weirdness I ran into recently, which would end up consuming a large number of ephemeral ports (client side) instead or reusing connections - fix description. The ports would end up waiting in TCP_WAIT state for a long time and the client would eventually stop, unable to make any new requests.
Big data stuff. Naturally, any list is incomplete without big data:
- HyperLogLog, now in Redis and all the rage these days
- Cassandra and NetApp. Like Nutanix, this is a large storage vendor using another software base distributed store (hmm)
- I also saw some lost change ids twice, on 2 separate amends